Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Homestretch

SO, here I am, on a Sunday night!...... reading and writing (Just what I want to do on a Sunday)! But really though, I have thought a little bit (I do mean just a little bit too) about the last 4 weeks and what I have taken from the three classes I have taken! Here's the biggest things I've learned/researched in each class.

1. Researching Current Issues in ITEC
    I have done a lot of research, sometimes not even for a class assignment on the flipped classroom and blended learning! I find this subject to be very interesting and a very hot topic that some people disagree with, but has been generally accepted in the educational community. I love all the possibilities it offers, especially the fact that it would make make-up work for students so much easier on both them and myself should they miss days!

2. Distance Education
    Similarly, to the flipped classroom approach in the first class, I have studies and learned a lot about LMS's in this class. Naturally, most distance education courses have some sort of LMS that controls the flow of their class. I have been interested by the possibilities here and am excited to try out Schoology this year instead of Google Classroom. If anybody has made this switch before and been unsuccessful, please let me know before I take the plunge and why I shouldn't!

3. Instructional Apps of the Internet
    Naturally, if you have seen my past blog posts, you know that my biggest area that I have focused on here has been Mobile App development. I see endless possibilities with this. I know that students don't like homework at all! So, if I can find a way to allow students to do simple homework pieces on an app, it is going to be more exiting to them and they will be more like;y to do it! That is my theory at least! We shall see about that!

4 comments:

  1. Nate, have all three of your classes been the same 5 weeks? I also had 3 classes, but one started in May, so I only had 2 weeks of 3 class overlap- which was more than enough! If you don't mind, I might copy your blog post idea and write mini reflections on the three classes. Hang in there, to quote the side of Great American Ballpark we're "Rounding 3rd base and heading for home..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a huge accomplishment! I thought just one was a struggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A comment on students doing their homework on an app. My students do all their homework on their ipads, and they love it! I've had so many students tell me they know its the same homework but it doesn't feel as painful on their ipads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reassurance kasey! I cannot wait to try it this year! Also Lori I'm glad at not the only reds fan at Kent state! Haha

    ReplyDelete